The house is a reproduction of an 18th Century Georgian-style home. It was built in 1922 by prominent York business man and philantropist, Mahlon N. Haines, who was known as the “Shoe Wizard”. The Haines family occupied the home from 1922 to 1952. The estate was purchased in 1952 by Dr. & Mrs. Frank Weaver. In 1957 the Presbytery of Donegal arranged for the purchase of the property for a new church from the Weavers.
In 1957 the four car garage was remodeled into the first chapel. The house also served as Sunday School rooms and church office. A new Sanctuary was built in 1962 and church services moved there. The Haines House continued to serve as home to Sunday School. In 1971 a new Education Building was completed.
At present the Haines House serves as administration building and church office. It also is used for meeting rooms and an adult Sunday School class. The former garage/chapel serves as the Youth Wing and meeting room.
Ground was broken for a new sanctuary building in October 1961. The cornerstone was laid in April 1962. The first service was a dedication service held on September 16, 1962. The building is of brick construction.
You enter the church into the Narthex, which is separated from the Nave by a glass partition. In the Nave a center aisle separates two sets of pews, which are furnished with The Bible, The Presbyterian Hymnal and Songs to Celebrate.
The Communion Table is found in the front center of the church. Behind it is the organ, and behind the organ is the pulpit. The wall behind the pulpit contains a stained glass window, which depicts the various stages of the life of Jesus Christ. At the center of the stained glass window is a Celtic Cross, a symbol of the Presbyterian Church. To the left of the church is the Sacramental area, including the Baptismal Font and Elders’ Bench. To the right is the Choir Loft.
Downstairs is the Donegal Fellowship Hall, which was dedicated in April 1963. The hall was named in commemoration of the support given by The Presbytery of Donegal to the founding of our church and this building. The hall is equipped with a full service kitchen and a small stage. Various congregation meals and programs are held in Fellowship Hall. The building is equipped with an elevator to provide assistance between the two levels.
Outdoor Worship Center
The project was started in 1965 and dedicated in July 1974. The center was restored in 1992 as part of an Eagle Scout project. The Outdoor Worship Center is used for summer time worship. It is also used for weddings.
Deacons Island (dedicated 1960) sits in front of the Haines House. This small garden contains a large cross. The cross was replaced in 1996.
Sanctuary Garden (dedicated 1965) sits in front of the Sanctuary. It contains a concrete circle, sundial and bench.
Children’s Garden (dedicated 1971) sits between the Haines House and Education Building at the bottom of the small hill. It contains a fountain and numerous plants, trees and flowers.
There are various trees, flowers and plants throughout the campus. A number of these have significance for various reasons. They all remind us of the beauty of God’s work.
Ground breaking and construction of this building began in April 1970. The cornerstone was laid on June 7, 1970. The building was dedicated at a service held on February 28, 1971.
The two-story brick structure is connected to the Sanctuary. The building contains classrooms for Sunday School, library, rooms for meetings, the choir room and storage. The building also houses the Eastminster Preschool during the week throughout the school year.