As the population of East York grew in the 1950s, the leaders of the First Presbyterian Church in the City of York proposed to the Presbytery of Donegal a need for a new church to serve this area. Approval was granted by the Presbytery, Council of Churches and the Board of National Missions and the process began in 1956. A local committee proceeded to call an organizing minister, Rev. Raymond K. Rossnagel, and to secure the property from Dr. Frank Weaver.
A time of calling, meetings, committees and volunteer work followed. Evening Vesper Services were held during the summer of 1957. These led to the first official Church Service and Sunday School session, which was held on September 8, 1957.
Known at the time as “The New Presbyterian Church for Eastern York” and supported by the Board of National Missions, the group began to plan for official sanction as a church. The Petition for Charter was circulated and by November 1957 was approved by the Presbytery with 157 signatures.
On December 8, 1957 Eastminster Presbyterian Church was formally organized with the charter members. On March 2, 1958 Rev. Raymond K. Rossnagle was installed as its first minister.
Attendance and membership grew steadily and lead to two services, as well as Sunday School. A new Sanctuary was completed in 1962 and an Education Building was added in 1971 (See information regarding our campus for additional information).
The Eastminster Presbyterian Church has served several generations of families in the York area. The church provides a number of programs in addition to weekly church services to enhance the spiritual lives of its members and visitors.